Directorate of Printing executes all printing jobs of various Ministries / Departments of the Government of India. In order to provide better services to the indenting departments, the following guidelines are prescribed.
- On receipt of requisition of printing job, the indenter will be intimated the name of the Government of India Press which will execute the job along with the name and the telephone number of the Press.
- As soon as the allotment of the work is received, the Press will intimate the indenter, the likely date of commencement of the execution of the job or any clarification regarding the paper, style of binding etc.
- In case a job is of such a nature which the Government of India Presses cannot execute, the Directorate of Printing will suggest alternative specifications to the indenting organization.
- The Printing Press charge to the Indenting Department the actual cost of the printing.
- Departments / Ministries are advised to provide Computer Ready Copy (CRC) in order to enable the printing press to execute the job fast and cheaper.
- Most of the Government of India Presse are equipped with latest offset printing equipment and are capable of undertaking all kinds of printing jobs.
- As soon as the work is completed, the indenter will be intimated for collection of the printed job work.
- In addition to printing of books and publications, the Directorate of Printing also arranges printing and supply of all the forms to all the Government of India Departments / Ministries including certain stationery items such as file cover, letterhead etc. There is, however, no arrangement for printing of computer stationery at present.
- All the standard forms are stocked and distributed by Government of India Stationery Office, Kolkata. Special and other forms are printed against the specific demands of the concerned Departments / Ministries.
- For the items for which printing cannot be arranged by the Directorate of Printing, permission for private printing is accorded to the concerned Departments / Ministries with the approval of the Ministry of Urban Development and Poverty Alleviation. However, no Department / Ministry can resort to private printing without obtaining No objection Certificate (NOC) from the Directorate of Printing (Ministry of Urban Development and Poverty Alleviation) well in advance.
Various Government of India Printing Presse is earmarked for printing of various parts of the Gazettes (as per Annexure - II). All extraordinary Gazettes are printed at the Government of India Press, Mayapuri, New Delhi.
One copy of the Gazette Notification is normally provided to the Indenter by the Press.
Additional copies, if required, by the Departments / Ministries, the same can be arranged by the Printing Press.
Barring certain parts, all the Gazette Notifications are directly received by the earmarked Printing Presse for printing on behalf of the Department of Publications, a publishing wing of the Government of India.
The Government of India Printing Presse makes all efforts to assign top priority in printing of Gazette Notifications.
Duties of the Indenter
The Indenter should fill up the indent neatly and clearly in triplicate and provide all material complete and final with all relevant instructions to facilitate fast, error free and correct execution of the printing work.
After completion of the printing work, the bill will be sent back to the Department / Ministry for making payment. Sometimes, the bills are given in two parts, one supplementary and another final bill. The Department / Ministry should make the payment of supplementary and final bills immediately, on receipt of the bills by the Printing Press.
In total there are 18 parts of the Gazette Notification distributed amongst section and sub-section dealing with specific subject matters. The details of the Printing Presses taking up the printing of different sections and sub-section of the Gazette areas under:
|Part||Section||Sub-Section||Type of matter to be published||Press in which printed|
|1.||Notifications relating to and Non-statutory Orders issued by the Ministries of Government of India (other than the Ministry of Defence).||Government of India Press, Faridabad Phone Number 95129 - 2233789 Phone number 95129 - 2233879 (AMA)|
|2.||Notifications regarding appointment, promotions etc. of the Government officers issued by the Ministries of Government of India (other than the Ministry of Defence) and the Supreme Court of India.||Government of India Press, Faridabad Phone Number 95129 - 2233789 Phone number 95129- 2233879 (AMA)|
|3.||Notification regarding appointments, promotions etc. of Government offices issued by the Ministry of Defence.||Government of India Press, Faridabad Phone Number 95129 - 2233789 Phone Number 95129 - 2233879 (AMA)|
|4.||Notification regarding appointments, promotions etc. of Government offices issued by the Ministry of Defence.||Government of India Press, Faridabad Phone Number 95129 - 2233789 Phone Number 95129 - 2233879(AMA)|
|II||1.||Ordinances and Regulations||Government of India Press, Minto Road, New Delhi. Phone Number 011 - 23235416 Phone Number 011 - 23234278 (PTS) Government of India Press, Faridabad Phone Number 95129 - 2 233789 Phone number 95129- 2 233879 (AMA)|
|1A||Publication of the authoritative texts in Hindi language of the Acts, Ordinances and Regulations.||Government of India Press, Minto Road, New Delhi. Phone Number 011 - 23235416 Phone Number 011 - 23234278|
|2||Bills and Reports of Select Committees on bills||Government of India Press, Minto Road, New Delhi. Phone Number 011 - 23235416 Phone Number 011 - 23234278(PTS)|
|3||(i)||General Statutory Rules (including orders, bye-laws etc. of a general character) issued by the ministries of Government of India (other than the Ministry of Defence) and by the Central Authorities (other than the Administrations of the Union Territories)||Government of India Press, Ring Road, Mayapuri New Delhi. Phone Number 011 - 28116204 Phone Number 011 - 28115058(AMT)|
|(ii)||Statutory Orders and Notifications issued by the Ministries of Government of India (other than Ministry of Defence) and Central the Authorities (other than Administration of Union Territories)||Government of India Press, Ring Road, Mayapuri, New Delhi. Phone Number 011 - 28116204 Phone Number 011 - 28115058(AMT)|
|(iii)||Orders and Notifications issued by the Central authorities (other than the Administration of Union Territories)||Government of India Press, Ring Road, Mayapuri, New Delhi. Phone Number 011 - 28116204 Phone Number 011 - 28115058(AMT)|
|3A||Authoritative Texts in Hindi (other than such texts published in Section 3 or Section 4) of the General Rules; and Statutory Orders (including bye-laws of the general character) issued by the Ministries of Government of India (including the Ministry of Defence) and by Central Authorities (other than Administration of Union Territories)||Government of India Press, Nashik Phone Number 0253 - 2417862, 0253 - 2412742(AMT)|
|4.||Statutory Rules and Orders issued by the Ministry of Defence||Government of India Press, Ring Road, Mayapuri, New Delhi. Phone Number 011 - 28116204 Phone Number 011 - 28115058(AMT)|
|III||1.||Notifications issued by the Supreme Court, the Comptroller and Auditor General, Union Public Service Commission, Railway Administration, High Courts and the Attached & Subordinate of the Government of India||Government of India Press, Faridabad Phone Number 95129 - 2233789 Phone Number 95129 - 2233879 (AMA)|
|2.||Notifications and Notices issued by the Patent Office, Calcutta||Government of India Press, Faridabad Phone Number 95129 - 2233789 Phone Number 95129 - 2233879(AMA)|
|3.||Notifications issued by or under the authorities of the Lt.Governors||Government of India Press, Faridabad Phone Number 95129 - 2233789 Phone Number 95129 - 2233879(AMA)|
|4.||Miscellaneous Notifications, including Notifications, Orders, Advertisements and Notices issued by Statutory Bodies||Government of India Press, Faridabad Phone Number 95129 - 2233789 Phone Number 95129 - 2233879 (AMA)|
|IV||Advertisements and Notices by private individuals & private bodies||Government of India Press, Faridabad Phone Number 95129 - 2233789 Phone Number 95129 - 2233879 (AMA)|
|V||Supplements showing Statistics of births and deaths, etc. both in English and Hindi||Government of India Press, Faridabad Phone Number 95129 - 2233789 Phone Number 95129 - 2233879(AMA)|
Extraordinary Issues of Gazette
All Extraordinary Gazettes are Printed by the Government printing presse,Ring Road,New Delh except those issued of Gazette Extraordinary containing Bills acts of Parliament and Ordinances which will be printed at Government of India press ,Minto Road, New Delhi.
Procedure to be followed by the Ministries / Departments / Statutory Bodies etc.
- The Part, the Section and the Sub-section of the Gazette in which the matter is to be published should invariably be indicated on the top of the copy for the guidance of the Printing Press.
- All notifications to be printed and published in the Gazette should be sent to the Printing Press bilingually (i.e. in Hindi and English), except in cases of Supreme Court of India.
- The original typescript copy, duly signed in ink by a competent authority should alone be sent to the Press. Corrections, if any, in the copy sent to the Printing Press should be legible, and duly attested by the Officer signing it.
- The cyclostyled copy/carbon copy or a copy without the Officer’s signature in ink and without indication of Part and Section is not acceptable by the Printing Press.
- All authorities forwarding the Notification should take care that the copy of the same Notification is not sent to the Press twice in order to avoid publication of the same more than ones.
- Illegible cyclostyled manuscripts of the Notifications should not be forwarded for publication. It is advisable that computer output / Camera Ready Copy (CRC) in proper formats are sent to the Press so that Presses may ensure fast, error-free and economical printing.
- Manuscripts for Hindi and English should be sent on separate sheets.
- Gazette Notifications, except in exceptional circumstances, should always be sent to the Press during normal working hours.
- No matter should be required to be published in a Gazette Extraordinary unless it is of such an urgent nature that it cannot wait until the publication of the next Ordinary Weekly issue of the Gazette.
- In fixing the date which a Gazette Extraordinary should bear, the time-schedule prescribed, should be observed. Whenever for any special reason this is not practicable, the Government of India Press should be consulted before fixing the date.
- Notifications which are to be published by a definite date:
In the case of notifications etc. which are to be published by a particular date, they
should be sent giving sufficient time to the Press concerned with a covering letter indicating therein the date by which the notification should be published. In case the Government of India Printing Press does not find it possible to publish them by the stipulated date, the Press will inform in writing to the Department concerned accordingly, so that any changes to be made in the notifications etc. could be made by the Ministry / Department / Office concerned; and
Alternatively they can place xeroxed copies of the Gazette in the Parliament and simultaneously they may send 15 xeroxed copies of the Gazette to the Kitab Mahal Book Depot of the Department of Publications for sale to the public.
- The notification to be published in a Gazette Extraordinary or the forwarding letter should invariably by signed in ink by an officer not lower in rank than a Joint Secretary.
- The name, designation and telephone number of the contact officer should invariably be mentioned in the letter in order to enable the Printing Press to contact the Officer concerned in case of any doubt or clarification.
- If the matter to be published is of special public interest and is likely to create a large demand for copies of the Gazettes, the Press should be advised accordingly under intimation to the Controller of Publications, Department of Publications, Civil Lines, Delhi who will determine the number of copies to be printed.
- Spare Copies of the Gazette:
Very often, the Ministries require spare copies of the notifications sent by them for publication in the Gazette. Such requests for spare copies will be accepted if the number of copies required is 100 or more. In such cases, a request should be made directly to the Printing Press concerned for the supply of extra copies accompanied by a requisition in the appropriate form. A copy of the requisition alone should be sent to the Director of Printing for the record. Request for spare copies which are not made while sending the notification for printing will not be entertained.
Time Schedule: Printing of Weekly Gazette
All notification etc. received by the press up to 1.00 pm of each Tuesday will be printed in the same week's Gazette brought out on Saturday. If the material for printing in the Gazette is not received by the time mentioned above, it would not be printed in the Weekly Gazette of the following Saturday. Further, if some bulky notification consisting of 24 pages and more is to be included in the Gazette, it may not be possible to include such notification in the Gazette of
that week unless it is sent to the Press sufficiently in advance. Any voluminous notification which cannot be printed in the Gazette of that week in which normally it has to be printed, will he held over for printing in next week’s Gazette.
The following time has to be allowed to the press for printing:--
|1.||Up to 8 pages of manuscripts||24 hours from the time of receipt in the Press.|
|2.||Over 8 pages and up to 24 pages||48 hours from receipt in the Press|
|3.||Over 24 pages and up to 48 pages||72 hours from receipt in the Press|
|4.||More than 48 pages||Additional 24 hours for every 24 pages or part thereof.|
In view of the tremendous increase in the volume of material being published in the Gazette, very often it happens that the Press is unable to print and supply copies of the Gazette within the time schedule mentioned above. In such cases, to expedite matters, it has been provided that as soon as a proposal for publication of an Extraordinary issue of the Gazette of India is mooted, the Ministry / Department concerned should get in touch with the Manager of the Government of India Press concerned and discuss details with him. An advance copy of the text of the notifications etc. may also be sent to the Press as early as possible so as to allow the Press at least the time mentioned above. At this stage, the Press should be instructed that they may compose the material for printing but do the actual printing on receipt of the final text duly signed and after checking the composed material with the final text only. This will enable the Government of India Press to commence the operations in advance and may help in completing the work according to the schedule mentioned above, depending on the advance notice, thus eliminating complaints from the subscribers.
OBTAINING G.S.R. / S.O. NUMBERS:
In many cases, the notification etc., published in the Gazette are to be laid on the Table of the House of Parliament for which the Ministries / Departments require the G.S.R. / S.O. numbers. For obtaining the G.S.R. / S.O. numbers, a request should be made to the Press concerned in writing in duplicate and sent through a special messenger. Such requests in the case of Extraordinary issues should be made one day after the date on which the notification is required to be published, and on Mondays in the case of notifications published in the Weekly Gazette. The Press will immediately indicate the G.S.R. / S.O. numbers on both the copies of the request and deliver one copy to the messenger of the Ministry / Department concerned.
The Manager, Government. of India Press, Ring Road, New Delhi, will supply 10 spare copies of the Extraordinary Gazette to the indenting Department automatically without their being called for as a matter of routine.